Friday, November 13, 2009

What is right vs. what is convenient?

I am someone who is a planner and like to pride myself on making sound decisions. I like to weigh my options, research and read about my options, think about the consequences, make a decision, and execute said plan. I am rarely impulsive, and have pretty much planned out all my major life events. What can I say? I like it this way. I like to set goals and achieve them.

However, I do sometimes have a hard time make the "right" choice when there is a more convenient option available, even when I have all the information in front of me. I don't consider myself a lazy person, but sometimes I take the easy way out. Let me give some examples.

I will eat fast food, because it is convenient when I know that food prepared at home is generally healthier and more balanced. But, I don't enjoy the time it takes to make a meal, or the clean up that follows.

I will eat something out of the freezer or out of a box, rather than preparing a fresh meal is almost always better for you. Again, if I am going to cook, I want it to be easy.

I will use a paper towel or a Clorox Wipe to clean up a mess, rather than getting a rag or a sponge, even though I know it is more environmental sound to not use products that are one time use.

I will watch hours of a Law and Order marathon because it is easy and mindless, but it takes every fiber of my being to motivate myself to exercise, because it is not enjoyable, and then I am all sweaty and have to shower.

So, how do you make a "good" choice when a more convenient and appealing choice is in front of you?

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Hmm. That's a hard one to comment on. I feel the exact same way. The only suggestion I have (at least as far as food goes) and this is only what I've read in magazines is to try and do a lot of your prep work all at one time. So like when you come home from shopping cut up your veggies and put into individual baggies or whatever. I think it's a good idea in theory. Hmm. I like the post though. Food for thought.

Vala said...

all I can say is SAMESIES! Especially when it comes to cleaning and exercising!

Holli said...

Exactly! I just love how you put it in actual words so we can all feel guilty with you...ha ha

~Tana~ said...

I feel the same way as you as I sit here and read your blog and watch house. I know what is right but sometimes I just don't have the time (motivation) to do what I need to do. I really want to start exercising regularly. I am full of excuses for that one.