Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween with a twist

Halloween is one of my top five favorite holidays. I love any excuse to get all dressed up! About a month ago I came up with the perfect Halloween costumes for Dalan and me. Dalan does not share my love of Halloween, or any other holidays for that matter, but will usually dress up as anything I request as long as I do all the prep work. However, as things would have it, we would end up being booked with non-Halloween activities over the Halloween weekend. We have season tickets to Pioneer Theater, and to the Utah football games, and this month our turn at the theater was on October 30, and there was a football game on October 31. I was excited for these two events, but a little disappointed that non-Halloween activities were going to dominate our holiday weekend.

I decided to save my perfect Halloween costumes for next year when we would have more time to wear them, and go with more simple costumes that we could put together with the clothes we wore to the play. I was a black cat, and Dalan was a 1920's gangster of sorts. However, no one including the D.I. was selling suspenders, and no one sells realistic looking play guns. So, Dalan went to Jen and Gil's party as a nicely dressed gentleman wearing a fedora and carrying a alien laser type weapon. Oh well, it was better than nothing. Jen and Gil throw an awesome Halloween party every year complete with a theme. This year the theme was Alice in Wonderland. It was pretty neat to see their costumes, and their decorated house and yard. The play, Is He Dead, by Mark Twain was excellent by the way. It was silly, outlandish, and so funny. I laughed out loud throughout the night.

On actual Halloween night, we went to the football. This meant we missed chili at my mom's house, and getting to see some little ones in their costumes. Boo! However, the game was excellent, and the Utes won! I never got too cold, and the game was a nail biter until the very end. The guys who sit behind us were very intoxicated, and at one point I was convinced one of them was going to throw up all over me. Luckily, that never happened, although he did fall down several times. I would have been so upset if I had gotten puked on! Also, we left a bowl of candy out for trick or treaters. It remained untouched throughout the night, which was disappointing, because it was candy I wanted to get rid of. I was hoping some teenagers would come along and take the whole bowl, but no such luck.

So, while Halloween weekend was not traditional or full of costumes or parties. It was a blast, and I still have my costumes ideas for next year!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I love Halloween too . . . although, I'm lame and haven't dressed up in years. I should make more of an effort next year!