Dalan and I have found a new favorite thing to watch on the television. It is ESPN's 30 for 30 series, which features 30 different moments/stories/events/personalities/etc in sport's history over the last 30 years in order to celebrate the network's 30th anniversary. See, everything that is cool is turning thirty this year!
They are really interesting, and they are done by different film makers and directors each week as a documentary, and air on Tuesday nights with limited commercials. So far, we have watched the one on the Baltimore Colts marching band that continued to play and march for the 12 years after the Colts moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis, and the one on Len Bias, the college basketball player who died in 1986 from a cocaine overdose after being drafted to the Celtics. Come on, you all remember Len Bias, you may not remember his name, but anyone in my age bracket will remember the cautionary tale of the superstar athlete who only tried drugs once and DIED of a heart attack, so who knows what drugs could do to ordinary boys and girls like yourselves. I think I heard his story every year of my life in drug prevention lessons. Well, his story was very interesting, and the jury is still out about how often he used cocaine, depends on who you believe in the documentary. We still have one on Mohammad Ali in our DVR, and one coming up this Tuesday on Jimmy the Greek.
Dalan's interest was piqued as far as the other topics featured in the series, and then found a piece of information on ESPN's website that confirmed what I have known my whole life. ESPN's 30 for 30 is devoting an entire episode to June 17, 1994. MY BIRTHDAY! They had thirty years of sport's moments, highlights, stories, and personalities, and they chose to devote one of their 30 precious hours to MY BIRTHDAY. I have always known and taken any opportunity to remind people that June 17th is magical, but here is further proof of the greatest day to ever exist. I know that in 1994 on MY BIRTHDAY O.J. Simpson went on his infamous drive, but I cannot wait to find out all the other stuff. This particular segment won't air until 2010, so I will send out a reminder, because this is a show you will not want to miss!!!!!!
Edited to add: Dalan wanted me to make it clear that we receive no compensation for promoting ESPN or its programming. We just really like this show. However, if ESPN would like to sponsor the snoop bloggy blog, we are open to any and all offers.
No comments:
Post a Comment