Thursday, June 17, 2010

Best gift....a two pound baby!

Yesterday, Quinn doubled her birthday weight! She weighed 440 grams at birth, and was tipping the scales at 890 grams last night. (Roughly, 15 and half ounces to 1 pound 15 ounces.)

Tonight, Quinn weighed in at 930 grams, or 2 pounds 1 ounce! We are now the very proud parents of a TWO pound baby! Way to go, Quinners! I am so excited. What a wonderful birthday gift from a very special wee one.

Unfortunately, Quinn was having some problems with her lungs today. For about the last day, she seemed a little off to me, and some of her nurses. They did a chest x-ray this afternoon, and discovered her lungs weren't looking like they were suppose to, they made some adjustments to her ventilator, and her evening x-ray looked better. Also, her blood work did not show signs of infection, so keep your fingers crossed that this was just a small bump in the road, and nothing major. The good news is growing, and getting good nutrition is the best thing for her lungs, so here is to lots of food, rest, and growth for the babe.

Dalan did kangaroo care with Quinn today, and it was the sweetest thing. After having trouble with her breathing all morning, she required the lowest amount of oxygen while snuggling on her daddy's chest. She had her hand up by her face, and looked just about as precious as one can get. When she had to go back in her isolette, she had her hands covering both of her eyes. It was hilarious. She just discovered in the last day and half that her hands can touch each other, so a few times I have caught her using her hand to play with the other hand. Today, it looked like a combination of being dramatic, ashamed, or playing peek a boo. Cute girl!

Quinn's adorable plaid bow finally fell out today. It lasted so long. I saved it for the baby book. I picked out a blue and brown polka dot bow for her, because I have decided, at least for now, that blue is her signature color.




Oh, and today is my 31st birthday. It was a totally atypical birthday for me, because it revolved more around Quinn than me. Ha! Welcome to motherhood, Jessi! I did have a pretty fantastic day. I woke up to a beautiful bouquet of flowers from the huz. I got to visit with my TWO pound daughter. I ate dinner, and had cake and ice cream with the fam. My mom and nana came to the hospital to see the baby, so we had four generations of women in one room. I got some sweet gifts, and lots of nice messages, voice mails, emails, and phone calls from all the people I love! Hooray for birthdays!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you had such a fantastic birthday. Way to go mighty Quinn, I'm glad I got to witness this new milestone

VaRonica said...

I am so glad that you had a great birthday!!! I love you and your little one so much and it makes my heart happy to hear that she is doing well. I hope that we hear about her lungs being just a fluke and that things are back to growing good soon!!!!

Hilary said...

Yay, what a great birthday!
I'm sorry her breathing was an issue, but the weight gains and her cuddling with her Daddy made up for a lot of that I'm hoping! :-)

Jen said...

Hooray for a great birthday and a two-pound baby!!! Yea!!! Love the pic of Quinn covering her eyes and your description of how she's discovered what her hands can do. Precious!

Jen said...

Oh...and you should consider this a compliment. Rob thought you were turning 28. ;o)

Lisa, Adam and Macey said...

Oh yay! First, happy birthday yesterday. Our birthdays are just a few days apart :) And second, oh my gosh - 2 pounds!!! That is fantastic. She is looking so, so, so good. She is beautiful and it's amazing what a little weight can do for their health/well-being. We are just thrilled for you that things are going so well. Here's to hoping that things keep going great and that you get to bring that little doll home soon!!!

Vala said...

That IS definitely a great birthday present - 2 pounds of sweetness :)
Gooooooooo Quinn!

Holli said...

Happy Birthday Jessi! I couldn't agree more that a two pound baby would be the best present. I love the pics of her with her daddy too...so cute!

Dr. aafb said...

Happy Birfday! Love that Quinn. Yay for two pounds!

Kellie Glade said...

Happy Birthday!!! Yep, that seems typical once you have kids. Somehow you feel like you don't exist :) Glad you had a great day and your little girl is now putting on the pound(s).