Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ouch, binkies, and growth

First of all, Quinn says, "hey, and thanks for reading." She loves you all!

Secondly, I have my second breast infection, mastitis, in a month. It sucks, and hurts so bad. I think it hurts worst than my c-section. I ended up taking a 40 minute shower last night, and working some of the infections out, but oh man, did it hurt. I am going to start another round of antibiotics this afternoon, and stop wearing underwire bras. However, I am a little worried about support for the girls in a non-underwire bra, but I seriously, cannot keep getting these infections. If anyone else has any tips for treating or avoiding it, I would be forever grateful.

Next, Quinn is really loving her binkie. I used to let her just play with it, but I learned from one of the developmental specialist that she needs to take it all the way and suck in order to prepare her breast feeding. She is doing very well with this. I am so excited that we are weeks away from trying to nurse. Last night, the nurse tried to give it to her, but she refused it from her, and would only take it from me. Warmed my heart a little that she prefers her mama, despite being away from her for hours everyday.


Lastly, Quinn is so big. Last night, she weighed in at 2 pounds, and 14 ounces. Her coloring is a nice "baby pink" and her hair was looking pretty dark again last night. Go figure. We'll just have to wait and see what color it ends up being.


11 comments:

Kerry said...

I couldn't agree more .. she is looking so meaty and big these days! I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions on the breast infections other than warm compresses for pain relief. I'm so excited for you and what the future holds. I can't believe how much Quinn has grown and all the big steps she's taking.

Star said...

She is amazing and so beautiful. Reading your blog just puts the biggest smile on my face! Great Job Mama Jessi!

Hilary said...

She looks SO much bigger than when I saw her last . . . what a difference a half pound makes when you're teeny tiny! Good chunkin' up Quinners!

Holli said...

Sorry about the infections, I have no tips or suggestions, because I have never had that. I think Quinn is so cute, and I love how big she is getting. I am so glad you post so many pics of her.

Unknown said...

She's so sweet! I can't believe how big she's getting, and I'm happy things are slowly getting better for her (and you guys!)

Shelly said...

She is looking so great! What a little miracle baby! Sorry about your girls, man, that can be fun. hope they feel better soon!!

Jen said...

She looks so big now! Go, Quinn! Sorry about the mastitis...I've heard that's super painful. :o(

Unknown said...

Gosh you got some great awake/alert pics of Quinn! She's so chunky these days! :) I love it! Sorry about the mastitis...NO fun! I hope to see ya soon!

Unknown said...

Here are some articles from the La Leche League that might help.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/repeatmastitis.html

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr07p76.html

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVMarApr93p19.html

Dr. aafb said...

She is so dang cute. I think she's looking Carlson if I do say so myself. Sorry to hear about the boobies. Are we surprised that they are milk producing machines? Again, so sad I didn't get to see her. Let me know when it gets closer to bringing her home.

Vala said...

I think doing away with underwire will help. It took me a while to get used to nursing tanks, but 15 months later, that's still all I wear!
I already gave you all my other suggestions, I think :) All of my info when I got the infection came from the La Leche League sites, too.
I hope this is the end of those damn infections!