Sunday, April 26, 2009

Kidney stones or the swine flu?

First of all, who ever thought I would end up blogging so much about kidney stones while still in my twenties. Well, for the last two weeks I have battled the stones, and as of today, they are winning. After feeling healthy all week, I woke up to intense pain this morning, and have spent the rest of the day feeling crappy with a slight fever. I still have not gone to the doctor, because the treatment is water, pain medication, and rest. I can do that all without a doctor. Well, unless the stone is too big to pass and then I well need a doctor, but I am still hesitant to go pay a co-pay, and be told to do those three things I just listed.

Then, I thought maybe, it is not kidney stones at all? Maybe, I will be the first Utah case of the Swine Flu? So, I decided to compare symptoms.

Kidney Stones:
Pain and cramping in the back area (check...I definitely have that)
Vomiting (none)
Blood in the urine (none....just in case you were interested)
Frequent urination (yes, but I have also been drinking a ton of water)
Slight fever (yes, at least according to Mama Carlson, who felt my forehead for me)

Three out of five, with a big yes, on the pain and cramping which is the number one sign.

Swine Flu:
Coughing (none)
Running Nose (none)
Fever (see above)
Sore throat (none)
Vomiting (none)
Fatigue (yes)
Chills (none)

We will have two out of seven on that one, with none of the major indicators, except a slight fever.

In my modest medical opinion, I do, in fact have kidney stone, not the swine flu. That is a relief. At least, I am not part of a major health crisis!

2 comments:

Vala said...

sweet, I am glad it is JUST kidney stones and not the Swine Flu. hehe - just kidding about the JUST part. I hope you are feeling better!!

Dr. aafb said...

I thought I would remind you that you are about to leave your "twenties" and become the big 3-0 and the health problems increase as you age. I can say this as I am about to join the club as well:)