Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cuba

I want to go to Cuba, badly.

I have wanted to go ever since I saw Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. So, as Dalan and I attempt to find good deals on a flight/hotel anywhere (with no luck) for our honeymoon this summer, I keep telling Dalan all I want to do is go to Cuba.

So, this morning I read on an article that the U.S. is slowly loosening up its rules on travel to Cuba. C'mon, it is about time. Free country, my ass. I can travel to China, which is a communist country, but not Cuba???? Anyway, the articles talks about two options you have as an American to get into Cuba. The first option is to apply, and the U.S. government may allow it for a wide variety of reasons, including an educational trip for my family. The second option is to go through Canada or Mexico, where some places specialize in American travel to Cuba. Apparently, Cuba does not require a passport, so Americans can slip in and out of Cuba fairly easily and undetected. There are two small catches, one is you have to bring cash, because you cannot use an American credit card in Cuba. The other is you can get fined 7,500 dollars if caught, but according to the article I read only 3 people out of an estimated 50,000 got fined last year.

Now, I have no idea how much it will be to fly to say Canada, and then to Cuba, but I totally want to. That would be the best honeymoon ever, and pretty darn unique. Do you think it would be worth even looking into? Do you think I should wait, and see if the restrictions will slowly disappear, and then we can just go and be legit? Just wondering.

2 comments:

Vala said...

Dave and I were trying to work out a way to go to Cuba a few years ago, for the same reasons that is sounds you want to go. We were going to go through Canada but it just seemed too expensive. Now that big bad GW is out of office, hopefully they will make it more legit to travel there. But in the mean time, I absolutely think that if you can do it for a reasonable price, then why not? I would be soooo jealous :) Plus, how cool to say you went on your honeymoon to a forbidden island.

Vala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.