Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tubes

Quinn has become very skilled at getting her cannula out of her nose. It is rare that she has it directly in her nose these days. She pulls and stretches it and rubs and moves it constantly. In fact, right now it is skewed to the right and closer to her mouth than her actual nostrils, but she is breathing alright and it is pointing in the right general directions, so I am not going to mess with it. She loves to rub her little face against my shoulder/chest until she can get it out her nose. She also loves to pull it into her mouth, or bat it up so it is sitting on the bridge of her nose. I am hoping this is all part of the process of Quinn ultimately weaning herself off of oxygen.


We have a doctor's appointment this afternoon to discuss her eating. We have really good days, and not so good days. Overall, I think (as does the occupational therapist and the doctor) she has made progress, but there is clearly something that it is getting in the way of her eating 100% orally. So, we are going to see if we can make a new plan, and get this girl eating. It is our biggest stress right now. I think it is time to ask you all for some more vibes of the eating variety. Quinn needs them. Also, it we can get eating than that is another tube we can get off her cute, little face!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Oh yes .. babies and tubes. How familiar those are. Even now 13 years later I look at pictures of Baylee and all her tubes and it's like you just don't even notice them there because .. well they just were. It was normal for her. Because of her low muscle tone I never had to worry about her pulling hers out. I can imagine that being hard. I hope that you appointment goes well today with your review of her eating. One thing I'll add with Baylee is that she just didn't eat as much as they wanted her to at the times. Instead we ended up feeding her smaller feedings but more frequently. The other thing too, which you probably already know .. but feeding her while rocking in a chair helped too. Something about the back and forth motion had her sucking in rhythm. So she wasn't thinking so much about what she was doing. Good luck!!