Yesterday, Quinn tried solids for the first time. It was a little (ok, a lot) earlier than I would have started them, but our occupational therapist suggested starting them now, for a couple of reasons. First of all, it will give her practice for future eating. And second of all, some kids just do better with solids than they do with a bottle, and it is worth a try. We started with sweet potatoes, and so far so good. I am going to make my own baby food, and thanks to Becca have an excellent method that will make it easy, totally affordable, and super healthy. I boiled and pureed a sweet potato, and then froze it in an ice cube tray, so now we have enough servings for about three weeks, all for about ten minutes worth of work, and a dollar in cost.
Yesterday, the OT fed her, in order to teach us some techniques. We will be using her binkie as part of the feeding to help her learn to transfer food from the front of her mouth to the back. I only took one photo since it was an occasion in which I was learning and observing, rather than snapping photos.
(hands (well, thumb...see below) in mouth, right after her first taste of "real" food.)Today, Dalan fed her. She did great, and seems to like it ok. She ate well, and then just wanted to chomp on her binkie and go to sleep. Unfortunately for Quinn, it was then time to take her bottle. I obviously had to take the binkie out her mouth, so she started to instantly suck her thumb. Crazy girl! She has not done that forever. After her bottle, she just wanted to suck her thumb some more, so apparently, sweet potatoes turn Quinn into a thumb sucker. (You can also note that today was a bit of a crazy hair day for Quinn.)




5 comments:
I'm so glad you're making your own food for her. It is so much easier than anyone thinks. And you know exactly what she's getting! I love making Izzy's food. I think it's helped to keep her healthy and she is a great eater!
She seems to be eating pretty good. Eating does for some reason make them super sleepy though. I have had one successful feeding on rice cereal so far, she will have nothing to do with anything else, so way to go Quinn! I really don't enjoy the teaching them to eat part, more frustrating that anything...ha ha
You'll have to give me all your best tips on making baby food when I'm ready to start -- we plan on making a lot of our own when Isaac gets started
I'm glad the homemade food is working out for you. No preservatives in the homemade stuff! YES! I also have a baby food mill thing that you can borrow if you want. When she starts having more food, it's nice because you can put whatever you're eating in it by just a few bitefuls, turn the crank, and viola, you have food that's mashed into baby consistency food! Just like from the jar, only fresh!
I agree that making your own food is cheap, easy and makes you feel great! I have a book of recipes for babies if you'd like to borrow it. Also, wholesomebabyfood.com is awesome as it shows you the best ways to prepare the different foods to maximize the amount of nutrients in them. Quinn is awesome!!!!
Post a Comment