Saturday, July 3, 2010

New Look

Here is a quick summary of Quinn's last two days:

Quinn continues to do well on her new breathing system. The goal at this point is to wean the support she is getting from the ventilator, and get her onto high flow oxygen.

Her voice is less hoarse and raspy now, but she still sounds like a little bleating lamb when she cries.

She also still hates the prongs in her nose. She pulled one out today as we went to do kangaroo care. The good news is they are easy to get back in if she pulls them out, unlike her breathing tube.

She gained another two ounces!

She LOVES her binkie. She cries for it, and is a good sucker. A lot of babies who are intubated for so long cannot suck, and gag when things are put in their mouths. Luckily, not Quinn. She is a binkie girl (at least for now...but hopefully, she'll stay this way. I like her to have a way to soothe herself when her mama and daddy can't be there to help.)





4 comments:

Hilary said...

She's doing so amazingly well, and is just so adorable! I love her fiesty attitude, and I'm all for self–soothing, so that's awesome about the binkie! I was talking to a nurse last night who had been working with a preemie that day who was 5.5 months old trying to get him take a binkie, because he still was still unable to suck very well. Quinn just seems to be a bit of an overachiever! :-)

VaRonica said...

I love how big she is getting!!! She looks great and this is all such good news... so happy for you guys! Love you all at the CarSellers house!

Vala said...

Wow! I just caught up on all things Quinners! Over three pounds! WOW!!!! She is superbaby! I've missed my daily dose of Quinn :)
I am glad all of you are doing well. That's great news that they were able to switch to the nose tubes.
I hope Quinn nurses like she takes a binky - if she follows her pattern of amazingness, she most certainly will!

Kerry said...

lol .. people have strong opinions on binkies. I actually have a pending blog post about just that. I think it's great that she loves her binkie.