What kind of kid were you at sleepovers growing up? I think everyone fits into one of three general categories.
Type 1: Normal kid. You could hang until it was pretty late, and then you would get tired and go to sleep. You could then walk up at a decent hour, and be ready for the day. The slumber party was made for you.
Type 2: Sleepy McSleeperson. You fell asleep way too early, making for an uncomfortable evening for your guest/host. You also woke up way too early, and you were ready to go for the day, making for an uncomfortable morning for yourself and/or your host/guest. You are the early to bed, early to rise people.
Type 3: Awakey McAwakerson. You were always the last one ready for bed, and the last one to sleep, even if this meant hours of just lying there awake while everyone else was asleep. Mornings always came too quickly, and you would have rather been still asleep, rather than eating cereal and watching cartoons. If you even woke up on time with the rest of the household, you often found yourself awake hours after your host/guest, making for an uncomfortable morning. You are the type of people, who eventually fit right in on a college campus.
I was totally type 3, and still am to a point. I have always had a natural bio-rhythm that makes me a night owl, but there is something about not being in my own bed that really triggers it. Sometimes, it takes me a really long time to get comfortable, and if I am sharing a bed with someone, or if they are close enough to hear me moving, I get paranoid about all my movement, and cannot get comfortable and cannot sleep. Also, if I think about it, I will get the urgency to pee, and the more I think about it, the more I have to go, and the more I feel like I can't get up again, or the more I have to go, and so on. I would always sit there at sleep overs trying to decide, if I had left enough times between my bathroom breaks. Camping triggers my need to pee even more, especially if it is cold, if the bathroom is far, or if there is no bathroom at all.
Last night in the hospital, I totally had flashbacks to the days of slumber parties. I wanted to go to sleep. I needed to go to sleep! It was about 11:30 pm, and I knew that people would be in my room throughout the night, and that the mornings at the hospital were up and running by 6:00 am, but I could not sleep. I listened to two relaxation tracks, and nothing. I just laid there, willing myself to sleep. And while I did not have to worry about moving in my bed too much, or if anyone was counting how many times I had to pee, I totally felt like an eight year old at a sleepover with a friend who was going to be up at dawn, and I was not going to get enough sleep. Finally, I read. I got sleepy enough to fall asleep around quarter to two, but of course, someone was in my room at quarter to three to check on the baby and me. I did eventually fall back asleep, until 6:00 am for more checks, then my morning meds, and then a quick meeting with the resident. No more sleep for Jessi.
6 comments:
I was totally Type 3! I'd stay up talking and got frustrated when the other kids were too tired to stay up with me. I still have trouble sleeping anywhere except my own bed (and sometimes have trouble sleeping in my own bed too). Hope you get better sleep tonight!
I'm not sure it if was okay that that post made me laugh so much given the circumstances. I wouldn't say that I was anything other than the number 1 with tendancies towards number 3 (when I was a kid). Now as a "30-something" I'm leaning towards a number 2. All that being said it was the whole peeing part that I could relate to perfectly. I'm the exact same way!! Even as far as the camping part. When we used to sleep in tents I DREADED the whole peeing situation. I always had to pee in the middle of the night, when it wasn't a problem at home. Good post!
I was a type one and now a type 2 but wanting to sleep in! :)
SOrry you had a rough night, but I must say, I hope you get used to the hospital sleeping because hopefully you'll be there long enough to really, really get used to it!
cute post, by the way :)
This made me laugh too . . . I'm a night owl by nature, definitely. I'm crashing earlier now that I'm older and have two crazy kids, but there are many nights when I'm kicking myself 'cause I've stayed up 'til midnight and the kids are gonna wake up at six-something.
I had a HARD time sleeping in the hospital after my babies were born. The first night I didn't sleep at all, the second, I made Greg curl up with me in the small hospital bed, 'cause I couldn't fall asleep without him! :-)
Now I can crash anywhere, as long as I have my headphones and the lady on the hypnobabies tracks talking in my ear -- I've never found something that's made me sleep so well!
I am a type 3 for sure! I can remember many nights lying on friends floors in the dark while they were fast asleep. I think I am still a 3.
McKay on the other hand was definitely a 2 and still is!!
When I was little I would stay up late and then get up early to play, maximum sleepover time. But, then as I got older sleep was more important and I would still stay awake but then sleep in. I think I am type three. I am most comfy in my own bed and I still to this day struggle when I am not alone. It is something that is getting better now that I am not alone at night but it is still difficult. I lay there much longer than Joe and wait for sleep to come to me.
Post a Comment