Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Test Results

Yesterday we got the results back from Piper's blood work, and it was not good. Her white blood cell was abnormal, and the vet suspected cancer, possibly some sort of brain cancer/disorder that was causing the seizures. I cried on and off all night.

We scheduled a spinal tap for today (which was not cheap) and I waited anxiously at work all day for the results. Dalan picked her up around 1:30 this afternoon. The good news it is not the brain cancer/disorder. The bad news is there were still some abnormalities that needed further testing. So, we will know more on Thursday, although, all signs are still pointing toward cancer. However, it seems now that the seizures are separate from whatever is causing the abnormalities. The poor things has huge patches of fur shaved off of her various places, although she seems to be doing well, except a little sleepy.

I am just so sad, and although I know she is dog. She is my dog. She is the first thing that was mine to love unconditionally and to take care. She has slept with me almost every night for the last four years, and when we have slept apart I always feel like something is missing. She is always sad to see me go, and is always overwhelmingly excited to see me return. She has lived with me in four different places in that many years. She has been with me through going back to school and going through a major career change. She has been with me when I started dating Dalan, when we moved in together, when my dad had his stroke, when I got engaged, and when I got married. She is my favorite topic to write about her on my blog. . She is my heart, my comfort, my friend....she is my dog and I love her.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I'm so sorry Jess . . . I hope they figure out what's wrong soon and can get to treating it!

Vala said...

Aw, very heartfelt post. I am going to hope that like Pipers eccentricities (such as hoarding change, holding grudges, etc,) this is just an eccentric test result that has nothing to do with her future :)

~Tana~ said...

I am so sorry!!! I totally understand. My dog had seizures too. I hated watching them, my dog(s) were like family and I still miss them and the sound of their paws on the floor. I am sending you good vibes/karma that piper is going to get well and that what ever is wrong is fixable.