Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My silly puppy

When I adopted Piper 3 years and 10 months ago, she came with some issues and quirks. Ok, Ok, a lot of issues and quirks. As she has felt safe and become part of the family, some of issues have disappeared, some have intensified, and some have appeared!

She did not like men, and peed at the mere presence of an unknown male entering a room. In fact, on one of the first dates Dalan and I went on, Piper peed all over my lap, because I was thinking if I held her she would be more comfortable around this new guy if she was close to me. I was wrong. Luckily she has outgrown this for the most part, and now loves Dalan almost as much as she loves me.

She also did not like other animals. She snarled and hid from my parents' dogs when I brought her over there. This she did not outgrow. In fact, she actual got worse as she grew more protective over me and our house. However, she does now tolerate my sister's dog, Griffin. This is a big step for Piper.

She licks metal and collects coins in her bed.

She also hordes bones and treats. I know this is a stereotypical dog behavior. You know, a dog gets a bone and buries it. She has never buried a bone, but she does hide them in every corner of our house. Once she hid her bone in a clean basket of laundry, only to later climb in and start chewing it all over the our clothes!

Lately, she has become more obsessed with them. In fact, last night she would not put her bone down to go outside. I kept taking it from her, and she would just pick it up again. So, we went outside with her bone hanging out the side of her mouth, and then instead, of doing her business, she laid on the wet grass (usually her mortal enemy) to chew it out there. I brought her back inside, and went upstairs to go to sleep. She then went into the spare bedroom found a bigger bone, and tried to chew it on the bed. I took this one away, she got over it, and climbed under the covers to get some sleep.

She also won't chew her bone if no one is here. She must wait and wait for us to get home when she has a bone, because the moment we walk in the door, she says hello, and then charges full speed to her bed to get her bone.

She really is a silly, silly little doggie. Maybe her DNA will explain some of her quirks and issues, but any which way, I love her to death!






2 comments:

Hilary said...

As I was reading this Annie came up behind me and happily shrieked, "It's Piper the puppy dog!!!" Then she saw the picture of you and Dalan and said, "Oh, cute, it's Piper's people, Jessi and Dalan."

Ali said...

I love piper! we still need to do our test to see how she reacts to Griff at your house!