Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day Craft

While searching the internet for a Mother's Day project for my kids at school to do, I came across this  project, and I thought I can do that.  

I struggled for a few days to get Quinn to sit still, so I could take a decent profile picture.  I used Instagram to make it black and white, and then printed it out on white card stock at work. 

 

And then I left the printed pictures in my closet at work.  It is an unfortunate theme with me.  So, on Friday night I ran to the craft store to buy more white card stock and other supplies.  The check out people always ask you, "So, what are you making?"  I never want to tell them.  This is a craft store in the suburbs in Utah.  There are so seriously more talented and crafty women out there than me, you certainly don't want to hear about what I am going to attempt and screw up.  

Anyway, so I to go over to my parents to reprint the photos, since our printer is not worker. Luckily, my mom was at a play.  And so after Q went to bed I started cutting and printing.  Dalan suggested that I should have bought black card stock and just traced one silhouette, instead of cutting them all out and painting them.  We'll see next time.  
I flipped over the cut outs and painted them black.  I was a little worried after the first coat when they curled up, but I was able to flatten them with a book without ruining the paint.  I then painted the frames to I bought at the store too.  And added another coat of black to the silhouettes and of green to the frames.  

I glued the dried silhouettes to some cute scrapbooking paper while the frames dried.  I used rubber cement and it sucked.  I could never get it to work completely.  So, I ended up using some white glue on the edges the next day.  

However, I am quite pleased with the final project.  I am glad it wasn't a disaster, and that our mom's and my nana (and us) will get to enjoy a silhouette of cute (almost) two-year-old Quinn. 



4 comments:

Kerry said...

Great job on your project. I am the worst at them. I used to scrapbook all the way up to when I had Jackson (6 years ago). Then it felt like my blog took over. But I still have a nagging feeling that I should get back to good 'ole scrapbooking. I enjoyed doing it.

Jen said...

Those turned out GREAT!!!

Border Collie Lipstick said...

Way to go Jessi, what a cute gift for Mother's day!

Leigh and Craig said...

That is adorable!