We saw our doctor a week and a half ago about Quinn's growth and getting her the g-tube out. He was impressed with her growth, but hesitant to say yes to the g-tube removal, because her weight has not "caught up" the same way her height has. He recommended we see a nutritionist to get her opinion. We saw one today.
She was impressed with Quinn's growth as well. Her height catching up is good news, because babies who get poor nutrition can gain/lose weight, but often don't grow taller. She also figured out that Quinn's weight gain has been BETTER since we stopped using her tube almost four months ago.
She had good ideas to keep Quinn's weight increasing, and to keep meeting her nutritional needs met. She also said Quinn was growing perfect for Quinn and encouraged us to not compare her to other kids, including the growth chart. (However, she was 10% in height and 3% in weight for her adjusted age of 18 months.).
All that being said, she recommended keeping the tube, (but not using it) until after her two year old check up to make sure the good growth continues. Urgh!
On one hand, I get it. It is easier to keep in it than take it out, only to have to put it back in later. But I feel like no one wants to be the person to make the decision, so they keep making these extended deadlines or these excuses about why her growth is not enough.
And it is not really that big of deal to keep her button in, but she does play with it and it can potentially get caught on things or get infected. I just prefer it out than in, especially since we are not using it. What can you do, except keep things in perspective and remember in the grand scheme of things, this is not that big of deal. And that it is great that she is growing and developing so well.
And here are some cute photos. Here is Quinn hanging out on a window ledge. She is a total climber these days. And Quinn snoozing in our bed last night. She was not feeling well. And Quinn eating some pizza for dinner. And Quinn after her bath. And Quinn in some newborn sized pantaloons with a purse on her head. And Quinn trying to drink some vegetable oil.
(When I blog from my phone, they load in a random order, so they probably won't be in the order I described them.)






4 comments:
Oh how I love me some Quinn!!! I can't imagine the stress that goes along with all the doctors, the comments and the "advice" that people give about Quinn, her weight, her height, etc. I think that you and Dalan handle it like champs and are amazing! Quinn is perfect and I couldn't imagine a better niece. She is growing and changing so much and I am constantly amazed by her talents, her abilities and her strong personality. LOVE YOU ALL!!
I can imagine wanting to get it out -- even just to 'get on' with life. Quinn's onto the next phase of life, eating and growing, so I imagine keeping the tube in is like holding on to something you've all moved past! Love the pictures! She's so cute!
Ahh .. I get it. I SO get it. Doctors in general frustrate the heck out of me. And you're probably right. None of them want to be the one that says, okay you're good to go. Only to find they're wrong. I went through a similar experience with Baylee and oxygen. Stupid oxygen tank just sat there, but boy did I just want it OUT of my house. Otherwise it's like this constant eye sore, a constant reminder that "something" could go wrong. That "sometime" makes your child just a little bit different.
So .. I get it. I'm sorry. That's frustrating. Boo.
The mighty Quinn! I love to see all of her new expressions and her latest taste in food. And I love your "Misunderstandings" post. She is such a bundle of fun.
Post a Comment