Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Merry Krampus

Krampus is a Christmas demon of sorts.  According to Eastern European folklore, Krampus travels around with St. Nicholas.  St. Nicholas rewards the good boys and girls, and Krampus takes care of the naughty ones.  And by taking care, I mean he whips them with chains, and beats them.  When, Coca Cola adopted Santa over here in the U.S., they didn't bring Krampus with them. So, most American are unfamiliar with legend of Krampus.  In some Eastern European countries, Krampus Day, which is basically Christmas Eve, is still celebrated with masks, costumes, and general craziness.



Dalan discovered Krampus sometime over the summer, and was immediately sold on the idea.  A Christmas villain was right up his alley.  He put a reminder in his phone, not that he needed one, because I am pretty sure a week has not gone by in which Krampus has not been mentioned.  Dalan has even taught Quinn to cheer at the mere mention of the name Krampus.

I wanted to embrace the only holiday Dalan was excited about, beside Thanksgiving, and asked how he wanted to celebrate Krampus Day. He told me he wanted to sit and chill and do nothing.  Basically, the opposite of Christmas.  I did manage to talk him into making some Krampus Day masks, and I ordered him a shirt for the occasion.  I suspect Dalan will probably wear his Krampus shirt to any event that he expect to be jolly, merry, or otherwise Christmas-y.
I told Dalan if he let me take a picture of him in his Krampus shirt, he could make any face he wanted.  



We made our masks on Saturday, and I tried to make Quinn's with a binkie hole, so we could get it to stick to her face by her sucking on her bink.  It worked pretty well on Saturday, however, on Monday (Krampus Day-December 5), she held it up to her own face like a champ.  She made her dad proud!

Sucking the binkie through the mask. 




4 comments:

Hilary said...

I actually knew about this! :-) A friend's sister has been living in Finland, Austria and a couple other places in Europe, and she's posted about it, including just recently at: http://benmissy.blogspot.com/2011/12/krampus-ii.html

Jen said...

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read!

Vala said...

Awesome. I am glad Dalan has found a holiday he can embrace :) I love hearing Dave's Czech family's accounts of Krampus!

Border Collie Lipstick said...

I love your holiday traditions, old and new :)