Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Help a Mama Out

We will soon be traveling by air with Quinn to San Francisco to visit our dear friends, Aubrey, Sam, and Drake. I am so excited for our first vacation in almost two years. We went to Vegas when I was pregnant, and to Montreal two summers ago. We are long overdue for a little travel.

Also, I have not seen little Drake since he was an infant, and now he is a 2 and half year old! And Aubrey is my "oldest' friend. We have known each other since 1983! She has never met Quinn, and that needs to be remedied ASAP. I am so excited for this trip!

However, I am also a little nervous about traveling with a very active 14 month old (Her adjusted age will be 11 months when we go, if that makes a difference in your advice.) I need advice from all those parents who have traveled with an older baby before.

*What has worked for you?

*What failed and why?

I am pondering these specific questions.....

*Do I bring formula, diapers, baby food, etc with me or buy them there? (We will be there for five days and four nights.)

*How do I keep her semi-quiet and happy on the plane? (Don't say a bottle ...remember, this is Quinn.)

* Any ideas for getting a baby to sleep in a strange and new place?

* What items are essential to bring and what things can be left at home? (Obvs. we'll be bringing a supply of guy-guys.)

8 comments:

Vala said...

When we went to Atlanta around her age, we did try to pack any food that didn't need to be fridgerated for Isaac. He ended up sleeping in our bed the whole time because he was too freaked out by a strange place (sorry, I know that doesn't help.) Other than that, he was so content to explore new territory that we didn't really need any of his other things for entertainment (although we brought stuff...it didn't really get played with.) I'll bring the DVD player if you want.

Jen said...

I recommend traveling as light as possible...which means buying food, diapers, etc. when you get there. If you use your infant carrier car seat, you don't need the base...you can travel without it. Since we had to bring Keaton's big easy chair car seat with us to Utah, we bought a luggage carrier with wheels and it worked like a dream. Bring a stroller for the airport and check the car seat and stroller at the gate (unless you brave checking the car seat at luggage check). Review the airline policy -- on American, lap babies can have a car seat, stroller, and diaper bag -- and strollers over 20 pounds have to be checked with the luggage. Be sure the ticket agent adds the baby to your boarding pass. You can bring liquid formula through security or buy room temp water in the airport to mix powder formula. We try to give K a bottle on take off and landing to help with his ears. As far as enterainment, Keaton loves the safety briefing card, empty plastic cups, and the barf bag. :o)

Jen said...

Rob just reminded me...babies don't need a photo ID to fly. One less thing to worry about!

Also, you and Dalan might get separated at security (always happens to me & Rob) -- I've found that the TSA workers will usually put my stroller back together so I can get the baby in it and get my bags.

This may or may not be necessary, but on our Chicago trip it was really helpful to know how many pieces of luggage & gear we had -- I was constantly counting to make sure we had everything.

Jodi said...

I'll give you the advice my brothers always give me-- Benedryl and duct tape. At this age, its about the only thing that works. Not that I've ever tried:)

Kerry said...

Wyland did our England trip close to the same age. Stroller is your best friend. I would choose some of her favorite items to bring, but not too many. Traveling always reminds me that my kids have way more toys than they need because they're just as content with 3 as opposed to 30 when that's all there is. Don't take noisy ones on the plane (sometimes I've forgotten that little detail). If you have a smaller stroller (as opposed to the giant one that comes with the carseat that might be best). Umm .. my kids always sleep with me. It's just easier than trying to get them comfortable in their own bed in a strange environment. If you're taking your Infinity you may need a letter for the airline (just call me and I can send it to you). As far as diapers and food, I always like to pack mine and bring because there's less on the way back and I usually have fun stuff that I've bought on my trip that I need space for coming home and so it works out perfectly. Good luck and have fun!!

VaRonica said...

The babies on the planes this weekend seemed to do ok with one or two toys and playing with the people around them. I know that one parent made the take off and landing like a game and clapped and "yeahed" to make it less scary for their little one. I have a feeling that she will find her own kind of fun on the plane and that most people will be so enamored with her that she will be great!!!! GOOD LUCK!

Dr. aafb said...

I have almost everything you need here so not to worry! I am just so excited to mentioned in your blog! I feel like a superstar! Since you and Dalan are traveling together you guys should be good. The only bad traveling experiences I've had were when I was alone (Let's just say a jar of baby food was involved and it was ALL over Drake, me and the airplane seat-those pouches were just gaining popularity when he was a pup). Anyhoo, I've traveled with food and without and it doesn't matter too much. We certainly can run to the store to get whatever. Toys, favorite blanket, guy-guy and you should be good! Can't wait to see you and the Quinnster!

jen said...

With two of you it should be pretty easy. Bring only what you need to survive the flight and buy the rest when you land. Take Quinn to the dollar store or the dollar bins at Target, let her pick a few new toys and then put them away till the flight. I say dollar toys because if you lose them or she suddenly looses interest no big deal, move on to the next one. Oh and snacks, snacks, snacks, special snacks you know she likes but doesn't get often. Good luck!