Sunday, March 13, 2011

We're home!!!!!!!!!!!

We're home! We got home around 7:00 pm last night, after a long, boring day. But I am grateful it was so uneventful, and everything went smoothly as it should, so we could get discharged.

Highlights:

1. Awesome nurses who listened and advocated for Quinn (and us.) At one point a doctor wanted us to practice feeding Quinn bolus style (gravity) during the day, and then stay another night to see if Quinn tolerated a continuous pump feeding. I was like no way. We have been doing bolus style feeding with her other tube for months, we do not need a day of practice of that. Luckily, the doctor listened to us, and the nurses got that we are pretty medical savvy parents, and let us take control of her oxygen needs.

2. The surgery was easy and Quinn was never in too much pain. We were able to manage her pain for the most part with Tylenol and Motrin, and was close to being back to her normal self within 24 hours of the surgery. She rolled about 48 hours after surgery, and seemed ok on her belly. She is obviously still sore, but I think she is going to bounce back quite quickly.

3. Quinn slept for eight straight hours last night! It was glorious. Around 4:00 am (or was it 5:00 am...darn Day Light Savings), she got fussy, and I ended up sleeping with her on the couch on her room for a couple of hours, but that is actually pretty normal Quinn sleeping behavior. I think having her on her feeding pump through the night is going to be very nice.

4. Her tube is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It is usually hidden under her clothes, and so she has not really grabbed or pulled at it, like she did with the one in her nose. I hope we can make it through the healing period (six to eight weeks) without her pulling it out, and then it will be smooth sailing.

5. Under to new plan, she is already getting two more ounces of food a day, with (hopefully) room to add more as needed. I hope she is going to pack on some grams.

6. She took an ounce of apple juice orally this morning. Hooray! I was a little worried that after 48 hours without a bottle, she would refuse, since she pretty much hates them anyway. We'll see if she'll take some formula tomorrow.

7. Her face is tube free, although we traded a little tube in her face, for a much bigger one in her belly. Now, if we could just get rid of the dots, Quinn's beautiful face will be free of extra accessories!

8. We got new roommates, and I totally "knew" them from reading their blog. Small and crazy e-world. We totally lucked out with our second set of roommates.

9. Our NICU experience totally prepared us for this hospital stay. While I was nervous about the surgery, I felt confident in navigating the hospital setting, and was prepared for all the wackiness that can happen when you are the mercy of others for your child's care.

10. A baby that is at 80% two days after surgery.


Low-lights:

1. Sleeping at the hospital. It sucked, and was uncomfortable. One of us would sit in the rocking chair with Quinners for as long as we could stand before our whole lower body was numb, while the other would sleep (and I use that term loosely) on the pull out cot. I did get to watch some old episodes of 90210 while I was doing my time in the rocking chair.

2. No DVD player in our room. We had planned on just chilling and watching Arrested Development during our stay, but no dice. We only had a VCR, and limited channels for our viewing pleasure on the TV. Thank goodness for smart phones and laptops.

3. Slow delivery drivers. We were discharged at 5:40 pm, and waited almost an hour for our medical supplies for Quinn to be delivered. I was one ornery and impatient mama by this point. I just wanted out of the hospital.

4. I realized how spoiled we were at IMC. It is new. We had a private room. We had one on one, or one on two nursing. Up at PCMC, not so much. Although, we had top notch care at both places, so I can't really complain.

5. Hospital cafeteria food. No decent showers. Bad cell service.

BUT, we are home!!!!

Now for the pictures....

Hospital, day 2.....


(Tubie)





Home, Day 3....








P.S. Happy Birthday to my mom! Love you!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

So glad you are home and had an uneventful hospital stay. If you are back with the Infinity pump for nights don't hesitate to ask if you ever have any questions or problems with it! I'm your woman.

VaRonica said...

I am glad that you are back to your wild and crazy ways Quinn!!!

Leigh and Craig said...

I am so happy you are all home and doing well. I was worried. Quinn looks wonderful and like such a happy little baby!

Dr. aafb said...

I am so glad to hear that everything went well and Quinn is healing like a champ! I can't wait to see her pack on the pounds!