Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The highs and lows of pregnancy

I had an appointment with my midwife last Thursday. My blood pressure was high. I have wacky blood pressure, that often bounces all over the place, and sometime ends up in the borderline high area. This time it was a little higher than that, so my midwife was concerned. She asked me to buy a blood pressure cuff, monitor my blood pressure at home for two weeks, and we would go from there.

However, all weekend my blood pressure was HIGH. High enough, that I decided to call my midwife on Monday and check in. She asked me to be seen on Tuesday. I had my appointment, and they determined that my highs were caused by my history of borderline high blood pressure, rather than a pregnancy related high blood pressure disorder, such as preeclampsia. This is good news, in the sense, that it means that the baby is safe, and is not at an immediate risk for early delivery. Also, it means generally that the problem can be taken care of with medication. I was given a prescription, told to keep track of my readings, and to call if I got a bad headache or vision problems.

Last night around 8:30, I got a headache. I took a shower, took some Tylenol, and started my Hypnobabies relaxation series that Hilary so kindly lent me. I felt better. Then, at 10:30 my headache just got worse and worse. After getting a hold of my midwife, I was off to the hospital to be evaluated. Thanks to my mama for taking a midnight run to Labor and Delivery with me!

My blood pressure came down quite a bit, but headache remained the same. I was also super dehydrated.....what? I drink so much water. They decided to keep me over night to get the headache under control, start an IV, and watch my blood pressure.

Well, this morning, they decided I need to stay another night. They want to monitor my blood pressure for 24 hours, and do some other tests. The good news is the baby is still doing well. I am not allowed to go back to work until next week, when hopefully, the meds I am on, have started working and regulated my blood pressure. The team of midwives and doctors seem hopeful that I will be pregnant long into the summer, and will just need some additional monitoring to ensure everything is progressing as it should.

Keep your fingers crossed, and send me some low blood pressure/full term pregnancy vibes! And an email, while you are at it. I would love to chat!

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Get better soon!

What hospital are you at?

Hilary said...

Here's hoping the medicine kicks in, you can finish off the last 5 weeks of school, then spend the rest of the summer sipping lemonade and relaxing until the baby is born!

Jen said...

Glad that baby is okay despite the blood pressure scare. Hopefully you can soon rest in your own bed at home instead of the hospital. Sending you good karma!!!

Leigh and Craig said...

I love the labels! Gestation and panic. Yes, that is the entire pregnancy...panic. Serious. I'm happy all is well with baby and I'm sure you'll get it all figured out. Wishing you all the best!

Kerry said...

I hope that you are home in our own bed soon. Best thing you can do is relax. Indulge in some trashy daytime TV (do they still have that??)