Monday, December 7, 2009

Meatless Mondays

I love Dalan. I love him for a wide variety of reasons, including his sexy beard. However, today he earned my love, respect, and admiration once again, by supporting me and all my causes. I told him on Saturday night that I would like to have one day a week of meat-free meals, and tonight he made a meatless dinner without any reminding or prompting. And he likes meat far more than I do, so I appreciate him so graciously getting on board with this idea. Plus, he made grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, which is my favorite. It was perfect on a cold, winter evening.

I picked Mondays, because the alliteration of Meatless Monday sounds the best, and that is how it was presented in the article I read about all the benefits of reducing the amount of meat in our diets. Cutting meat out of your diet, even one day a week, will help cut down on the harmful effects livestock have on the environment, including greenhouse gas emissions, water pollution, and deforestation for farmland. Meat, generally, also contains more saturated fat than plant based food, and the average American consumes almost 50% more meat on a daily basis than recommended. Basically, we are adopting Meatless Mondays for the health of the planet, and for our personal health.

3 comments:

Vala said...

Go Dalan! And go both of you for going meatless on Monday. I like that idea. Dave and I only consume meat about half of the days of the week (partly because we are lazy, partly for health..hehe) I love cheese and beans, especially in mexican food, so that certainly makes it easy to go meatless :) Anyway, good luck in your noble quest!

Hilary said...

Very cool. We do meatless at least couple times a week. For us there's a few main reasons -- 1. I personally believe most people eat too much meat and protein, so I think we could all scale back (and replace it with more veggies), so I force my husband to adopt this stance. 2. Meat can be expensive! 3. It's usually quicker to fix a meatless meal -- whether it be some kind of spaghetti or ravioli kinda meal, it's just faster not to have to cook the meat too. And since much of my meal planning happens when Greg calls to say he's on his way home from work, VOILA, meatless meals!

Kerry said...

Sign me up!! I love that idea. Perhaps may adopt it in my house. hmm.