Monday, May 4, 2009

Talk DERBY to me

Dalan and I hosted the pilot year of our soon-to-be annual Kentucky Derby party on Saturday. We had some friends and family over to watch the race, but it was much, much more than just a horse race. We had some mint juleps, champagne, and other tasty beverages. I made two delicious derby pies, and my mother made a yummy millionaire pie. We also had a wide range of fun hats and outfits. My in-laws were by far the best dressed couple there. We also drew numbers for horses. The race was exciting, and unpredictable. Dalan's horse won, Julia's placed, Jenny's showed, and Scott's horse was a close fourth place. After the race, we did our own horse racing, with toy horses frozen into ice cubes and shot down a cookie sheet. Julia's horse won the horse luge, VaRonica's placed, and Nghia's showed.

My love of the horse races started about 5 or 6 years ago when I went to visit my friends Aubrey and Sam in Kentucky. Aubrey and I tried to go to the derby, but it was a downpour and the tunnels to get to the field were flooded, and after waiting and waiting in the monsoon-like rain storm, we returned home and watched the race on t.v. It was still a lot of fun to be in Kentucky for the race, and now I look forward to it, and the other triple crown races every year.

We will definitely be hosting another Kentucky Derby party next year, so start thinking about your hats now!

2 comments:

Dr. aafb said...

So sad I missed the party!It looks like so much fun and I love the derby hats! Can't believe you had mint juleps as I know how much you loved it the first time. Miss you and Derby what a great memory!

Jessi said...

I did not have a mint julep...other people had the juleps. I am standing by the fact that I still think they are pretty gross!