Our couches have taken a beating over the last year. Feeding any newborn baby can be messy, but throw in a feeding tube and a baby with severe reflux and equals MESSY, MESSIER, and MESSIEST!
Ali found a simple cleaning solution of rubbing alcohol, sponges, and a soft bristle brush on Pinterest for cleaning microfiber couches, and yesterday we gave it a whirl.
It took about an hour to do both couches, and left the house stinking of rubbing alcohol. We had to escape to my mom's for the evening and let the house air out.
The verdict- couches are cleaner, but still stained. The cleaning solution was just that a cleaner, not a stain remover. The couches look nice and clean, but still stained. What can you do? We have a kid and a dog. We live in our living room and life is messy.
Thanks Ali and Dalan for all your hard work!






4 comments:
I feel this way about my carpet -- I can clean it, it'll never not be stained, but I have young kids, it's inevitable. And one day, when they're all older, we'll replace the ugliest carpet ever :-)
I used this scotchguard upholstery cleaner on ours recently. It faded the worse spots but didn't completely erase them. "This," I explained to my husband, "Is why we didn't buy new couches when we moved."
I'm with Hilary. I won't worry about replacing things until my kiddo is old enough to not ruin it . . . or possibly moved out . . . :)
My couches and floors have taken a big hit between having a puppy, a sweet old dog who loves to sleep on the back of the couch like a cat, and two cats that like to chase each other (and just happen to extend their claws into the leather to propel themselves forward.) Yikes. At first I must admit I was a stressed about it....I might still cringe when I hear the cats running around upstairs. Then I remembered my living room is for living :) Although I have started trimming the cats nails more frequently!
Well slight improvements are good right? And all it took was an hour! We're in a similar situation. Ours have REALLY taken a beating in the almost six years we've had them. I know (especially with boys) my kids are hard on couches. We're to the point that they're getting a little uncomfortable and really need to be replaced but I can't bring myself to throw down good money knowing that my kids are still small and will likely do similar things to them. So what to do .. what to do...
Post a Comment