Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Delightful

Yesterday, I was invited to participate in a conference for NICU nurses in order to help them improve their level of care from a parent's perspective. My student teacher was going to be in the classroom all day (which means I did not have to make sub plans), and it was the day after Halloween (which means the kids were going to be crazy), so I gladly accepted the invitation, and took the whole day off of work for the half day conference. It turned out to be a cold and wet day (which usually means indoor recess.....yuck), so I knew from the moment I got up I definitely had made the right choice.

The conference was nice, and it was good to see some of our nurses, and hear their point of view. They also fed me breakfast, and lunch, and hopefully, I made helped make things a little better for other preemies and preemie parents.

In the afternoon, Dalan and I took Quinn to the aquarium to see the fish. We got there right before it was time to feed the sting rays. The aquarium was quite empty, and we were able to pay ($6) to feed the rays. It was so cool, and definitely worth the money. Quinn LOVED it. The sting rays were going nuts, and so was she! So much fun!

Making a fish face while waiting to feed the sting rays:



Feeding/petting the sting rays:



Sitting on the frog:



Getting shocked (she loves it!):



Remember the girl who hated the penguin cut outs? Not anymore:


Rowing a boat to South America:



Looking at fish. She is such a big kid now:



And Quinn's new favorite activity. Putting clothes over her head and wandering around the living room. She is a nutty kid:

7 comments:

Hilary said...

I love the pictures!
So, what were your thoughts on the Conference you attended? Did it feel worthwhile? Did you get to talk about things that felt important to you?
And I'm happy you got to miss November 1st. :-)

Vala said...

That sounds awesome! I am glad you got to go to the conference, but also have a half day to spend with the fam! Plus, your grade did have an indoor recess yesterday! BLECK!

VaRonica said...

I wish I could have seen you at the conference, they couldn't have asked a better person for feedback. And Nathan is super jealous that you got to feed the sting ray's. Yeah for getting to spend extra time with your awesome family and the pictures are great!

Kerry said...

Haha .. I love her new activity. My kids love to do that too.

Kerry said...

P.S. YAY for days off work!

Jodi said...

I'm glad they asked you to go to that conference, and I hope they listen to your input. Three to four months of the same people day in and day out can get to be a bit much (for the nurses and for us), but aren't we soooo glad they were there for us?

Border Collie Lipstick said...

It is very cool that you got the chance to give feedback and possibly make the NICU a better place. As usual, I love the comparison pictures. Quinn is changing into a little girl so quickly! I love how adventurous she is.