1. Insensitive comments. The article talks about people commenting on a baby's size, and while an innocent enough comment normally,can really get to a parent on an off day. It hasn't been size for me (usually), but the whole your baby could of/should have died discussion I have had repeatedly with people I barely know pushed me over the edge some days. Or people I barely know asking me if this will happen with all my pregnancies and if I will have more babies. (Yes it will, and not likely, in case you were wondering.)
2. Feelings of isolation. Spending almost five months in the hospital with Quinn all day, every day was extremely isolating. Phone calls were next to impossible, and the only way to communicate with the outside world at times was a quick blog post, or an email. Plus I was trying to figure things out in my head. Quinn was very sick, and her future was very uncertain. I was not in a place to be social, even if I had had time, which I didn't.
Spending the next six months on "house arrest" was even more isolating. I think people thought at this point I was blowing them off. I was really trying to balance work, doctor's appointment, a baby who wouldn't eat, and needed to stay on a strict feeding schedule, oxygen and machines beeping, keep Quinn healthy, and being a new parent all at once.
3. Feelings of stress. This is pretty obvious. Quinn was very sick for a long time. Stressful. Pumping was stressful and time-consuming. The hospital itself was stressful. Dealing with my health issues was stressful. Going back to work was stressful. Quinn's eating was stressful. Quinn's machines beeping was stressful. Dealing with insurance companies was stressful. Avoiding germs was stressful. The lack of sleep was stressful. Not knowing what the future looked like for us or Quinn was stressful. Never being home was stressful. You get the picture.
4. Feelings of guilt. Although, not logical, I had many days when I felt horribly guilty that Quinn was suffering, and it was all my fault she was born early and so sick. And then, when I quit breast feeding, I felt all the guilt all over again. It sucked. And I felt like I was being betrayed over and over again by my body, while letting my child down.
5. Mourning the loss of normal pregnancy. I missed out on going into labor, and telling Dalan, "it's time." I missed being hugely pregnant and uncomfortable. Only I ever felt her kick, everybody else, especially Dalan, missed out on feeling her kick from the outside. I missed out on them placing her on me after she was born. We missed out on getting to hold her for the first month of her life. We missed out on hearing her cry after she was born. We missed out on getting to really celebrate her birth, because it was so scary and not a time of rejoicing.
6 comments:
EVERYONE told us congratulations when Kian was born. What? Congratulations on what? On failing to make it to 40 weeks? On having a critically ill baby? On getting to spend the entire summer and then some in the hospital? Hated that. But I liked the article. PTSD, so true.
I thought about you all the time when you were going through this -- I couldn't comprehend what it must've been like for you. I tried very hard not to say boneheaded things, but am sure I did my fair share :-) There are really very few people who can understand what your entrance into parenthood was like! You and Dalan handled everything with so much strength and grace, and I have been so completely impressed with you both -- Quinn couldn't have been born to more amazing, loving, capable, sweet parents. Lucky girl. :-)
Oh man, do I have so much to say about this. First of all, GREAT post. As much as some people try their best to be sympathetic, and for those close to us it means the world that they try. But you can NEVER understand unless you've been there. I think I draw many parallels between our two experiences but at the end of the day perhaps I shouldn't. I can't understand the depth of your experience anymore than you could understand the depth of mine when it comes to Baylee's lifetime of problems.
I don't even think I'm doing a good job of articulating my thoughts. I remember when Baylee was in the NICU washing my hand next to a new parent whose baby was being checked in. I asked her what her baby was here for, she replied "down syndrome". My first thought wasn't that I was sorry, because no matter what you were there for it wasn't good. I guess in a way you almost enter into this different community. Not one that you would EVER choose to be a member of. But we're all supposed to be grateful because our babies are alive, regardless of what the rest of that road looks like. But you know what, to this day I'm mad. I don't want to be in the club. Anymore than I'm sure you do. Of course we're grateful but we're allowed to be disappointed too. There are also things to mourn. I'm sorry this all sounds terrible when I read it back. Hopefully you kind of get where my head is. And yes the PTSD can be crippling. There is no other word for it.
What's funny too is that when I tell people what Baylee "has" and then they come back a few days later and tell me they have "researched it" and all of a sudden they think they can relate to my world. Are you kidding me?
Anyway, even if only to a small extent, I get a little about what you're saying here. Well put my friend!
Good post, Jess. And Hilary's reply is just about exactly what I was thinking. I cringe a little thinking that I've probably inadvertently said some things without realizing what I was saying! Yikes! I just love to see you and Dalan so obviously head over heels in love with your vibrant, healthy, wild, adorable Quin. It makes me smile every time :)
I have enjoyed reading your blog for a while now, and I have to tell you, I am so thankful for your ability to write your experiences to share with us all. I cannot even begin to imagine what you have been through. Thank you for opening your heart and letting us in.
Thank you for posting this! I feel for you and everything you've been through. Being a new parent is tough, and I can't imagine all the stress and worry and extra work you've been through on top of figuring out motherhood. Unfulfilled expectations in any form are unfair and disappointing and a loss. I hope that it continues to get easier. We love you!!!!!
Post a Comment