Seven years ago, I met some friends downtown for some drinks to celebrate a friend's birthday. My roommate was dating/had been dating this boy, and it was his roommate's birthday. The four of us had hung out before, and always had a good time. This friend had just gotten done with a birthday dinner with his family. He told a story about his sister jokingly deciding to start doing meth as weight loss method. He then explained that his sister worked at a drug and alcohol treatment center, so she was telling the story as a total joke. I asked what treatment center. He said I wouldn't know it. It was way out west. I smiled, and said I just might. He named it. It was the same one that I was working at, and I totally knew his sister. We laughed about it being a small world. It was a fun and memorable night.
Six years ago, I met some friends downtown for some drinks to celebrate a friend's birthday. There was a bigger crowd, including this friend's sister, and some of my other co-workers. It was fun, but awkward and exciting. This friend and I were having a quiet and semi-secret romance. I patiently waited out all the other people attending this event, even though it included going to another bar, and waiting for his roommate (his ride) to go home, so we could have some time alone. (That is the problem with secret romances. You have to get rid of everyone else to be alone with your lover.)
Five years ago, this boy and I had a housewarming/birthday party at our new place. Lots of friends came to celebrate the newly formed Carsellers household. It was fun. After everyone left, we laid in the hall and talked and talked and talked. I knew I wanted to marry him.
Four years ago, we went out to celebrate his birthday for drinks with friends. Piper had her first seizure that weekend, and we were nervous to leave her. We took her to my mom's house to be watched, and came home early. He was just as worried about Piper as I was, and I saw another example of his kind heart.
Three years ago, we were six days engaged on his birthday. We were floating in the clouds, and I was so excited to plan our wedding.
Two years ago, we celebrated his 30th birthday twice. First with our families, and then with our friends. We had a pirate theme, and it was a blast. It was our first married birthday.
One year ago, his birthday came and passed quietly. I was pregnant and tired, and he said he did not want to do make a big deal about it, so we didn't.
Today, he turns 32! We had a quiet, but fun weekend. We got pizza on Friday night. On Saturday night, we ran to a spaghetti dinner hosted by the Boy Scout's as a fundraiser for a kid in my class while my parents watched Quinn. We went to Target together too. It was fun.
More importantly, on this birthday, he is my husband, and Quinn's dad. He is amazing. We have had a crazy year, and I could not have asked for a better partner. He has been there for me all the times I felt like I was drowning. And he has been there to celebrate all the exciting and happy times we have had with our beautiful little girl. He makes me giggle. He dries my tears. He makes me smile. He eases my worried mind. He makes me feel pretty. He listens to me. He loves our dog. He loves me. He loves our baby. He is the best!
Who would ever thought that boy sitting across from at that dark and smoky bar seven years ago would one day be my huz? But I am so glad that he is!
Happy Birthday, Dearest Dalan! I love you! I hope you have the best day ever.
7 comments:
Ah, so sweet!
Happy Birthday Dalan!
I loved this post! Such a nice tribute.
aw. that is such a nice story. I am so happy you guys are so happy! Happy B-Day Dalan
Dalan certainly is a bad ass. :)
Very cute post -- I like that you can remember each of his birthdays, sweet :)
So glad I could be there for pirate birthday and become part of your family!
There is nothing like seeing your husband be a great daddy!!!
What a great love story! I still think of the two of you every time I see a pair of love birds and smile thinking of how much fun your wedding was, or even birds in general (of course it is an owl that makes me think of Quinn!) Cheers,
Jules
Jess I remember being so mad that I was the last person on earth to hear about your secret romance... but I am so glad that you all had it!! I love that you are a part of our family and that Dalan has an amazing person to celebrate his birth (even when he doesn't want to). Love Dalan and Love the rest of your adorable family :)
Post a Comment