Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Hangover: An essay

A Three Month Hangover
also known as:
A Tribute to my First Trimester.


As my first trimester of pregnancy quickly (or slowly.....depends on my mood and the day) comes to an end this week, I thought it would be fitting to dedicate a blog entry to it.

Basically, I have felt hungover for most of my first trimester. Now, don't jump to conclusions, I have not had an alcoholic drink since long before I was even pregnant. We were actively (wink, wink) trying to get pregnant, and I was being very conscious of my alcohol intake. However, that did not stop the little fetus in my womb from causing some physical side effects very similar to those you experience when you are hungover.

I guess I should clarify, I am not talking hungover, like a Jimmy Buffett weekend in Vegas when you puke all over your hotel room, so Hazmat has to come clean up after you, and it takes days to feel normal again. (Not that I would know anything about feeling like that!)

I am talking hungover, like you had one too many glasses of wine, and you wake up feeling "off".

1. You may or may not feel slightly nauseous, but not enough to throw up. Most days I would feel like I had the potential to puke, but not necessarily, and this would usually fade after breakfast. Although I did throw up six times, which is nothing for some people, but it was six too many times in my opinion....so maybe that would be equivalent to a hangover with you two glasses of wine too many.

2. You feel extremely tired, no matter if you slept for six hours or for twelve. You have to muster all the energy you have to function throughout the day. In fact, when we went to Vegas, Dalan called me the sleeping machine. In order to participate in fun daytime and night time activities, I required what I like to call a "disco nap." A "disco nap" is a term I stole from Sex and the City, which means taking a nap so you can party into the wee hours of the night. However, since being pregnant I have required a "disco nap" just to make it through the evening. We use the term so much we just call it a "disco" for short. This has been my worse symptom by far.

3. You will need to eat food in order to feel slightly better. Sometimes, only toast or crackers will be the only things that work to make you feel better, but most of the time, greasy, delicious food works just as well, and sounds so much better. Bring on the grilled cheese sandwiches and quesidillas.

4. You will also feel dehydrated. Water sounds delicious, but not first thing in the morning. Sprite or ginger ale are about the only things I can stomach in the morning. Otherwise, I am thirsty throughout the whole day. Sometimes in the beginning, I would forget to drink enough and get a headache, but I am getting better at keeping hydrated throughout the day.

However, I am pleased to report that most of these symptoms started to disappear around week 10 of my pregnancy, and even the fatigue has gotten better. Don't get me wrong, I took a quick "disco" today after work and before going to Costco with my mom and sister tonight, but I could have made it through the night without one. I am not going to lie, I am very excited to be exiting my first trimester of pregnancy this week, and entering the infamous second trimester. The trimester that is suppose to be the most tolerable and enjoyable. I say bring it on!

8 comments:

Hilary said...

I'm glad it went fairly smoothly for you! Even more glad you're entering the 2nd trimester, where you really start to show, and feel the baby move, and not feel tired all the time, and get the ultrasound, and all kinds of fun stuff . . .

Ali said...

I also took a disco nap before Costco. I take them daily so I can study into the wee hours of the night. I think if I napped less and study more during the day the need for "disco naps" would disappear.

Kerry said...

That sounds about the same for me, minus the throwing up. I just don't do it. 3rd trimester for me is the worst. You're big and tired, tired physically, tired of being pregnant, tired of the anticipation! Just ready to get the show on the road. Hilary is right 2nd trimester is where the fun is at! Get to tell people, start to show, and not just look fat. Find out the gender so you can shop shop shop! ENJOY!!

Holli said...

I agree the second is the best. I think six times puking is lucky :) I say intelligender all the way....ha ha

~Tana~ said...

I love it! I love "disco naps" and sex and the city. I am excited to read about your experience being pregnant.

Vala said...

I love the disco nap thing. I can just see Dalan asking you about your "disco." hehe. I constantly feel the need for a disco nap, and I'm not even pregnant! :)

Howard Family said...

Congratulations! I actually really enjoy being pregnant and I puke like a maniac, I miss it and feel very sad that I won't ever be pregnant again so enjoy every minute of it. I get the tired thing and it will get better and then back to super tired again. Enjoy!

Dr. aafb said...

Congratulations for making it past the first trimester! Life from here on out will be constant change: your body, your life and so on. It's a crazy ride!