We then opened the doors to where the furnace, water heater, and air conditioner are located, and Dalan saw immediately that the pump that takes condensation and water from the air conditioner was not working, and had been leaking for who knows how long. GRRRRRR! We got the pump replaced and the water from that space cleaned up quickly.
Next, Dalan started taking up the floor boards to see how far the water had gotten. It turned into an all day project, and was not an easy task. Molding had to come off, and some of the boards did not easily unsnap from their neighbors. Dalan got all the hall up, with one broken board. I was feeling ok about this because we have some extra in our stoarge room. Also the floor boards in the hall were installed running north to south, rather than east to west like the living room and kitchen, and we were excited at the idea of getting to put them in the right way.
Dalan, as the hallway project begins
One board up....little did we know how many more to go!
Off with the molding!
The hall is almost done....Finally, Dalan pulled up the one board in the kitchen that we thought may have water under it too. Unfortunately, it turns out several of the boards have water under them. Dalan got through a good part of the kitchen, and we hope now we are at the point where only two more boards have water under them. Now, I am a little worried that we won't have enough boards in storage to replace broken/warped boards. Not good. I looked online, and apparently the company that made our flooring went out of business in 2001, so there is not a lot of hope in finding exact replacements. Really not good. I am annoyed. We want to replace all the flooring upstairs in the future, but like our flooring downstairs. I don't want to blow our flooring budget on the flooring I actually like!
I am just hoping Dalan can get the job done over the next few days, and it is easy and inexpensive. Wish us luck!




3 comments:
Good luck! Sorry about that, it sucks!
At least Dalan is handy around the house! :-)
Best of luck! House hold projects always turn out bigger than expeceted - bigger on your time and your wallet! Luckily you aren't paying someone to do this labor, Justin is handy around the house too and it saves a lot!
Disasterous! I hope you have enough floor to fix it! Good luck...
Post a Comment