It was a longer subway ride than we had taken so far, but not a bad ride by any means. The stop we got off on was Pie IX, which I had been pronouncing like PIE NINE, however, when the voice on the metro announced in, it sounded just like PENIS. Maybe I was hearing wrong, but that is what it sounded like to me. Dalan claims it did not sound like that, but cannot tell me what is sounded like to him. I think it is because I am right! Any French speaking people can maybe help us out. Anyway, we got off on the Pie IX stop, and followed some signs toward the Biodome/Olympic Stadium out to the street. We had wanted to the Botanical Gardens first, since it was an outdoor activity, and we were trying to beat the rain. We saw signs on the street and followed them for about three kilometers before reaching the gardens.
The gardens were beautiful full of all kinds of flowers and themes. They had gardens of roses, and wild flowers. They had a garden full of plants native to Montreal with displays on how the native people used these flowers. They had a Japanese garden with bonsai trees, and a zen gardens. Our favorite garden by far was the Chinese garden though. It was so pretty. It had a big pond, all these beautiful plants, a waterfall, and really cool buildings. It was a magical place to visit. The sun even came out while we were there. Get ready for picture over load, because I took a lot while we were here.
Dalan at the entrance to the Chinese Garden.
Me at the entrance.
The Sellers and the Chinese Gardens.
The pond.
The waterfall.
Another view of the pond, and Dalan. We did not frame this one quite right.
Japanese Garden
Japanese GardenNext, we went over to the Insectarium, which is inside the gardens. They have a really neat "bug walk" before you even go into the building. They have all the native bugs on display outside, so you can search for them in the gardens. They also have some interactive games and such you can play before you even get inside. Inside the Insectarium, you get to view a lot of live bugs in little habitats, and also play some more interactive bug games. It was a fun time.
Dalan standing next to one of the "bug bubbles."
Dalan the beetle!
Jessi the beetle!
A butterfly I found outside the Insectarium.
The tower. See how blue the skies are...not for long!
Dalan at the observation deck. You can see the storm rolling in behind him. By the time we went back down, it was as dark as dark can be...
Dalan standing next to one of the "bug bubbles."
Dalan the beetle!
Jessi the beetle!
A butterfly I found outside the Insectarium. Then we walked over to the Olympic Stadium, which was only a few hundred feet away. We were now at the other end of the gardens, and apparently there was a much shorter way to get from the gardens to the Olympic Stadium/Biodome. Oh well, even though the signs had lead us astray, it had been a nice morning, and the walking was probably good for us. We got to the Olympic Stadium and signed up for a tour and also bought our tickets to go up the Tower of Montreal, which is attached to the stadium. It cannot be called the Olympic Tower, however, because it was not finished on time, and instead was finished 11 years after the Olympics. Crazy Canadians! The tour was interesting and informative. Dalan really liked learning all about the 1976 Olympics, and the construction of the building. We had a funny tour guide, who was basically the French Canadian version of Borat.
Next we went up an elevator/tram type thing up the side of the Tower of Montreal up to the observation deck. I was nervous, because I don't like heights, but it wasn't too bad and I made it up without a panic attack. As we went up the elevator, the rain started. We got a few minutes of clear skies to look out over Montreal, but it quickly got darker and darker/rainier and rainier.
Next we went up an elevator/tram type thing up the side of the Tower of Montreal up to the observation deck. I was nervous, because I don't like heights, but it wasn't too bad and I made it up without a panic attack. As we went up the elevator, the rain started. We got a few minutes of clear skies to look out over Montreal, but it quickly got darker and darker/rainier and rainier.
The tower. See how blue the skies are...not for long!
Dalan at the observation deck. You can see the storm rolling in behind him. By the time we went back down, it was as dark as dark can be...When we got the bottom of the tower, Dalan decided to put on his flip flops, so we could walk over to the Biodome, which is basically a big indoor zoo, as it was raining very hard. He changed his shoes, and we step outside, and the rain stops. Go figure. Dalan decides to change out of his flip flops and back into regular shoes, since he thinks they are more comfortable. (silly boy) We wait in line to get our tickets to go into the Biodome, and who do I see? The inspiration for my game French Canadian or Gay? from the airport. So I had to get a paparazzi style picture of him.
I am bummed it came out so dark, but if you click on it, you should be able to see it better. He was wearing his man carpi's again!
I am bummed it came out so dark, but if you click on it, you should be able to see it better. He was wearing his man carpi's again!Any who, the Biodome is a very cool place. It is divided into four different habitats, and instead of being in cages, you get to experience the animals in a more natural environment. We got to see all kinds of animals in each exhibit. It was cool to learn/see that porcupines climb trees. Also, we got to see a very cool penguin habitat, and some lemurs very up close and personal. I have no pictures of the Biodome, because it was very crowded, and in general animal pictures never really turn out. Plus I like to have people in my pictures.
That evening we decided to return to Old Montreal to see the lights at night. The church where we had seen the wedding was suppose to have really cool lights at night, and they also light up all the government buildings. We got down there before dusk, and did some shopping and got some gelato. Then about 8:45 we walked over to the church. I sat on the steps because my feet were killing me. Dalan told me I looked like I was homeless, but I did not care. (By the way, even the homeless in Montreal are bilingual.) And we waited for the lights, and waited and waited. They never came on at the church. We found out later that they only turn them on Tuesday through Saturday, and it was a Monday. Bad luck. We did get to see the rest of the town in lights which was very pretty.
A fountain that was all lit up. We tried three times to get a picture we liked...never were satisfied.
again
and again....
Dalan with his Montreal Canadians shrubbery.
Me with the Montreal flag shrubbery. It stands for the French, British, Irish, and Scottish.
That evening we decided to return to Old Montreal to see the lights at night. The church where we had seen the wedding was suppose to have really cool lights at night, and they also light up all the government buildings. We got down there before dusk, and did some shopping and got some gelato. Then about 8:45 we walked over to the church. I sat on the steps because my feet were killing me. Dalan told me I looked like I was homeless, but I did not care. (By the way, even the homeless in Montreal are bilingual.) And we waited for the lights, and waited and waited. They never came on at the church. We found out later that they only turn them on Tuesday through Saturday, and it was a Monday. Bad luck. We did get to see the rest of the town in lights which was very pretty.
A fountain that was all lit up. We tried three times to get a picture we liked...never were satisfied.
again
and again....
Dalan with his Montreal Canadians shrubbery.
Me with the Montreal flag shrubbery. It stands for the French, British, Irish, and Scottish. Finally, we went to dinner at 3 Amigos, this Mexican restaurant by our hotel. We had passed it many times, and it was always crowded, with people drinking margaritas as big as their faces. We could not resist. We had a delicious dinner, with some yummy beverages, and then finally called it a night!




2 comments:
I'm not sure if that is how you say Pie IX, but I hope so. Because that is awesome.
I love the margarita as big as your face photos, and reading of your Canadian adventures. I am also thoroughly entertained by your Gay or French Canadian game. Dave likes it also.
You are the best story teller. I should have you write my blog. I am enjoying your vacation stories. I dated a canadian boy. Too bad we don't talk anymore or I would ask him about the Pie IX thing.
Post a Comment